It works on the principle of a wiki, which means that many of our articles are written by several authors. When creating this article, 12 people (a) worked on its editing and improvement, including anonymously.
The number of sources used in this article: 5. You will find a list of them at the bottom of the page.
Many people often ignore punctuation marks such as dashes. The dash serves for various purposes and has different sizes. The most commonly used are the middle dash (-) and the long dash (-), the size of the middle dash is the letter "n", and the long dash is the letter "M". Such dashes are used to indicate explanatory text, the beginning of a dialogue, and more. Please note that in most cases the middle dash is used in the Russian language, and the middle and long dash in the English language.
A bit about AutoCorrect: dash code in html
It should be noted that the "Word" has a simple hyphen auto-replace on a dash of medium length. This is very convenient. But only that sign is replaced, on both sides of which are spaces. It is necessary to consider this moment. AutoCorrect is performed when the user writes a word immediately after a printed hyphen and puts a space after it. Everything is extremely simple.
Below we will consider setting auto-replace characters on a dash of medium and long length. But first, we should mention some other ways, as well as the code for this character in html. In the latter case, a long dash can be printed by typing the following combination: -.
To set the dash, you can use hexadecimal codes with their further transformation into the desired character. It is quite easy to print the necessary symbol in Word in this way. To do this, write a dash code of medium (2013) or large (2014) length, after which, without moving the cursor from the entered numbers, you need to press two buttons at the same time: "Alt" and "X". So you can print a dash on any part of the document.
You can also print a dash of the desired length by going to the menu called “Symbol” in the “Insert”. After clicking on this item, the area where the common signs are located opens.
In this window, click on the item called "Other Symbols". It is very easy to find. Then a window called “Symbols” will open, where you will see a list of various characters. You can select the necessary one and click on the “Insert” button. After that, the symbol will appear in the document. Here is the answer to the question of how to put a long dash in the Word. It should be noted that many are embarrassed by the long list, in which they can not immediately find what is needed.
In order not to waste time searching for a dash in the list of characters, you can open a tab called “Special characters”, in which it is located at the very beginning. The sought-after symbol immediately catches your eye. In addition, this tab shows the combination of buttons for inserting a dash.
Where on the keyboard is a hyphen
A hyphen on a computer keyboard is in the top number row, directly above the letters 3 and X in the Russian layout. Or between latin R and the sign of the opening brace <. Many mistakenly confuse it with the minus sign, which is actually located on the right, in the farthest corner of the keyboard.
The icon above the hyphen is not a long hyphen on the keyboard. In fact, it is called the underscore, or it is also called the lower hyphen.
And now you can consider the option with AutoCorrect. You must open a window called "Symbol", where the corresponding button is located. There you can easily configure the necessary auto-replace characters in the document. For example, finding a large dash in the list of characters and clicking on the button called "AutoCorrect", the user goes to settings. Three hyphens can be specified there. In the future, they will be replaced independently by a large dash. Very simple, right? You can also resort to this method for writing a middle dash, but its drawback is that it will be valid exclusively on your PC, and only on one keyboard layout (which was used when writing hyphens in the auto-replace window).
It’s not enough to know how to make a long dash. We must also remember the rules of its formulation.
A hyphen is used very often in words and phrases. Here are some common hyphens:
- For attaching particles: someone, somewhere, someone, someday,
- To attach prefixes: first, in English,
- As a sign of abbreviation: library (library), district (district), Mr. (lord),
- In phrases and compound words: business lunch, internet cafe,
- As part of compound words, some of which are transmitted in numbers: 25 percent, 100th anniversary,
- Before the end of the transfer using numbers of the numerals: 1st, 2nd.
Dash separating subject and predicate
Usually the subject and predicate are separated by a dash if there is no auxiliary element in the components of the latter. It is very easy to remember. Sometimes the setting of this sign is associated exclusively with the form of the subject and predicate. But often there are additional reasons why you need to print a dash. Consider the rules according to which it is necessary to put this symbol, and recall some exceptions.
A dash is printed if ...
The considered sign is placed in the case when the subject is a noun, while the nominal predicate is also expressed by him. In addition, it must have a zero connective.
- If the sentence can be called a logical definition.
- If it is designed in a book style and includes an assessment, a description of something, a long dash is also set.
- In sentences containing two identified sentences expressed by both compounds.
- After several subordinates that are homogeneous.
- When there is a structural parallelism of elements.
- In order to make the meaning of the proposal more understandable.
- If both subject and predicate are infinitives. However, one main member can be a noun, and then a dash is also put.
- Before the following words: “means”, “this”, “this means”, “here”, “this is”.
- If both the subject and the predicate are expressed in numbers. But if one of them is a noun, then the dash still needs to be printed. We must not forget this rule.
Usually a long dash is set in the following cases:
- If the subject is an infinitive, and there is also a compound predicate with a nominal part represented by an adverb that has a state value. The bunch must be zero. Particular attention should be paid to this.
- If the subject is represented by the word “this” and after it there is a logical stop.
In all cases presented, a comma is sometimes preceded by a dash. It all depends on the context. Usually it is needed if there is a subordinate clause or a separate member in front of the line where the dash should be placed. In this situation, you need to print two characters that have nothing in common with each other. Namely: a comma, standing after one revolution, as well as a dash, located between the main members. This is a very important rule.
Quite often, people make mistakes: they miss a comma, which should precede a long dash.
When do not need to put a dash?
It should not be printed if the subject is expressed by a noun. In this case, there should be a nominal compound predicate with a zero connective. It also requires the presence of a nominal part represented by a noun. In this case, a number of certain conditions must be met:
- The sentence is simple, refers to the colloquial style.
- Comparative alliances are located between the main members (for example, as if, for sure, it’s all the same as, as if, like, like).
- Before the predicate is the negation of "not."
- Also, a long dash should not be set if the main terms are separated by a particle or an introductory word.
- Before the predicate is a minor member associated with it.
- The sentence has an unusual word order, that is, the predicate comes first, and then the subject. Please note: in some cases, you should put a dash if you need to divide the sentence by intonation into two parts. It is also possible if necessary to highlight the subject or predicate.
- The subject is represented by a personal pronoun, while the predicate is nominal and compound. A bunch of it should be zero. There should also be a noun represented by a noun.
Now you know what to do if there is no long dash on the keyboard. In addition, you are aware of some rules for setting this sign.
Hyphen and dash: what is the difference when to apply
Externally, dashes and hyphens are similar to each other, they are written in the form of a short horizontal line of different lengths, but differ in use.
A hyphen is used as a division of a part of words into syllables or parts of compound words (for example, "northeast", "Solovyov-Sedoy"). Hyphens write abbreviations, prefixes and particles are added (for example, "rn", "in German"). A hyphen is used in words with numbers (for example, “3rd”, “10th anniversary”).
A hyphen is a spelling connecting sign for the separation of parts of a word, written in the form of a short line between letters, without spaces. Exception: in words consisting of two parts, the first and second parts of the word are substituted for the first part (for example, “audio and video track”).
A dash is a punctuation mark in a sentence, separates words in a sentence and is separated by spaces. Dashes are used in direct speech, between the subject and the predicate, instead of the sentence member, to highlight pauses in speech. From other words in a sentence, a dash is separated by spaces.
In text editors, the so-called "average" is used as a dash (in everyday life, the average dash is often called the "short dash") and the "long" dash:
- The middle dash is a character called “n dash”, equal in width to the letter “N”. The middle dash is used between numbers, for example, “3-10”. In this case, the dash is not separated by a space. A short dash is used in Western typography.
- A long dash is a sign called “m dash”, equal in width to the letter “M”. Actually, the present, true typographical dash - this is the "long dash".
There is also the so-called digital dash “figure dash”, which does not differ in length from the middle dash and is used to separate numbers. This character is entered in the middle of the digits. This is not a minus.
Look at the comparative table with the hyphen, minus, middle and long dash. As can be seen from the table, the length of the characters is different.
How to make an average dash in Word - 4 ways
First, let's see how to type an average (short) dash in Word on the keyboard in four ways:
- MS Word program automatically changes the hyphen to a short dash in the following case: separate the hyphen with spaces on both sides, and after the next hyphen of the word, make a space. The hyphen will become a middle dash.
- Press the keys “Ctrl” + “-” (minus on the number pad of the keyboard), the result is an average dash.
- Press the “Alt” key, type “0150” on the numeric keypad, and then release the keys. A middle dash appears in the text.
- Type “2013” on the number pad, and then press the Alt + X keys.
- Instead of an absent member of the sentence: I'm just in shock!
- Between the subject and the predicate: Five five to twenty five.
- Direct speech: “Hello,” she said.
- To indicate pauses: To give in is shameful!
- To indicate the routes: train Moscow - St. Petersburg.
How to make a long dash in Word - 4 way
Now we will add a long dash to the Word document using the "Alt-code", which executes commands for entering characters that are not on the keyboard.
Press the left Alt key, on the digital block, press the 0151 keys. A long dash appears in the Word document.
How to type a dash on the keyboard
The middle dash sign is usually used to indicate numerical ranges: 10 - 15, two - three. It is also sometimes called a long hyphen, although this is not correct. The middle dash is still a dash.
To type a middle dash on a computer keyboard:
1. In Word, hold down the key Alt and press the minus key on the numeric keypad layout. So you get a middle dash. Word also automatically replaces a hyphen with a middle dash when you separate it on both sides with spaces. For this to work, you need to type a hyphen with spaces on the sides, and then the next word and put a space after it. Then the hyphen will turn into a middle dash.
2. If you are typing in your blog, in the status on the page of social networks or in comments somewhere, then use the following simple method: hold down the key Alt and on the numeric keypad layout, type a number 0150. Get the middle dash.
A hyphen does not replace a dash! Therefore, use them as intended.
Now the colon began to look almost more archaic than the semicolon, and the dash took on many of its functions.
William Zinser How to Write Well. The classic guide to creating non-fiction texts. ”
How to put a long dash in Word - 5 way
Word has a character table that is located in the Insert tab.
- In the Word program window or in Word Online, click the Insert tab.
- In the window that appears, select “Other Symbols”.
- In the "Symbols" window, open the "Symbols" tab, in the "Font" field, select the "plain text" option, and in the "Type" field, select the "punctuation marks" option.
- Highlight a long dash, click on the "Paste" button.
- A long dash is added to the text of the document.
How to type a long dash on the keyboard
And now about the most important thing: how to type a long dash sign on the keyboard and do it quickly.
1. If you are typing in Word, you can print a long dash by simply double-clicking the hyphen key. The Word itself converts a double hyphen into a long dash. But! First you will need to configure this formatting so that it works.
Therefore, there is another option, how to put a long dash on the keyboard, which always works by default: if you simultaneously hold down the keys Ctrl and Alt and click the minus sign, you get a long dash. Everything is simple!
2. If you are typing anywhere else than Word, hold down the key Alt and on the numeric keypad layout, type a number 0151. Get a long dash.
I hope the article was useful to you. Now you know the difference between a dash and a hyphen, and how to type them on a computer keyboard.
Setting AutoCorrect options to insert a long dash - 6 way
In the symbol table, you can configure the AutoCorrect settings to automatically replace the characters entered from the keyboard with the desired character.
- Select a long dash in the "Symbols" window, click on the "AutoCorrect ..." button.
- In the "AutoCorrect: Russian (Russia)" window, in the "AutoCorrect" tab, in the "replace" field, enter the characters to replace with a long dash. I entered two hyphens in a row, you can enter three hyphens, so closer closer visually.
- Click on the Add button, and then on OK.
After applying the settings, in the editable Word document, after entering two hyphens in a row, a long dash will automatically appear.
Conclusions of the article
Users have a question how to write a long dash in Word, because there is no corresponding key on the keyboard. Several ways to enter a character in the text of a Word document will help the user solve a problem. To put a long dash in the text will help the "hot keys" of the Word program, the character table, the "Alt" characters, the use of the auto-replace character settings when entering from the keyboard.